Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another Block and Caregiving

Pin It The last few days have been spent taking care of Bob. He hasn't been doing well....he is in a lot of pain. For those who don't know, my hubby has been fighting mouth cancer for about five years. There have been rough roads and smooth roads but the most trying are the days when he is not feeling well.

When he was first diagnosed, it was a stage four cancer. He had a huge lump in his mouth. The treatment was surgery, radiation and chemo. He had the surgery. They cut out half of his tongue, removed 12 lymph nodes from his neck and pulled most of his teeth. The radiation came next which burnt his neck and face so bad I thought he would never look normal again. Then the chemotherapy. The chemo took a lot out of him. The energy was gone and he lost a lot of weight. When he looks back on it, he says it was like a bad dream.

So we take each day as it comes. Some days are good and some not so good. The last few haven't been good. He is in quite a bit of pain and very lethargic. I worry about him and try to make him feel as comfortable as I can.

Today he forced himself to help Luke install a speed bag in the garage. Luke has been wanting to use a punching bag for a while but the cold weather has kept us inside. Today the temperature rose enough that they decided to install the punching bag and try it out. Both of them had a blast trying to make the bag work as they thought it should.

While the guys were working on 'manly' stuff, I worked on another quilting block. I am having a lot of fun with this ... learning as I go.




Here is block number two. It was a little more difficult as it was a paper piecing technique. I had never tried paper piecing before but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have the quilting bug in me now and want to work on fabrics all day long!
I am hoping that I will have some time tomorrow to pluck away at another block. I am so anxious to finish all the blocks and get to the quilting part!
I hope you have a wonderful evening with your loved ones and don't forget to give them a hug!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Debbie. Your post brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I will remember you in my prayers tonight, that God will ease Bob's pain and give you both the strength you will need in the days and months and years to come.

    Cyber Hugs, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh debbie, I hope Bob's pain eases soon It is not good when you are in pain. There is not much you can do but make them feel comfortable until it eases.
    Your block is lovely and I would like to have a go at quilting this too.
    Please take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartfelt hugs sent your way!

    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Bob is feeling well again soon.He is one lucky man to have such a caring wife..and Im sure he knows that.
    Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else before me I send best wishes to you both and hope that Bob is soon feeling much better.

    Love the quilted block, the colours looks great.

    Take care now,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will really be praying for you and Bob- that's tough to go through. You both are incredibly brave!
    I love the colours for your quilts, this block looks nice as well. I'm sticking to the simple ones still because these looks so hard! Can't wait to see the finished work!
    The Girl in the Pink Dress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words everyone. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will put Bob on my prayer list, and lift you both up, I believe in miracles!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...