Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Getting Creative with Old Windows

Pin It Well since our property use to be an old junkyard and was farmed way back in the day, we acquired quite a lot of junk when we took the property over thirteen years ago.  There was ALOT of junk!



It seems every time I am digging through either the barn, the shed, the well house, the old farmhouse .... I always find something new.



The other day I found some of these.


Old window frames.  Some had the glass broken out of them and some still had the original single pane windows.  I grabbed a window that the glass had been long gone and decided to make something with it.  What?  I wasn't sure yet.  LOL


I lightly sanded the frame, removed some broken glass that was still stuck in the grooves where it originally sat and looked it over carefully.


I had seen pictures on pinterest and other blogs where people had either hung pictures behind so it looked like you were looking out a real window or used them as headboards but I wanted something fresh for my kitchen seeing it is spring and all.

Then I remembered I had these in the stash that I had picked up from the remnant bin.  I was going to make some mug rugs with them but after measuring the window space, I knew they had to go there.



I searched around some more in the piles of 'stuff' and found a little bit of chicken wire.  Just the right amount!  I quickly stapled that to the back of the window frame and added some picture hangers.  I decided to nail the hangers both on the top and side ... this way I could hang the 'window' either way in case I changed my mind and wanted a different look come autumn or winter. 


Everything was coming along nicely.  My dear hubby would just walk by and shake his head .... he knows well enough to leave me alone when I am on a roll with something.  LOL



After heading back to the house, digging out the panels, iron and stapler, I cut the panels and gave them each a quick iron.  Then turning the frame over, I carefully stapled the panels to the back and making sure each panel was centered as close as I could get it.



I like how it turned out!  Very rustic and fits in perfectly to my 'rooster corner' of the kitchen!



Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, Sharon here! If you want to see that tutorial on fabric covered eggs, you can google it at V and Co. Its an interesting site with lots of tips and great crafts.

    I like your chicken panel. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie... that is awesome girl! !! I love it. I bet that it is fun exploring through that old junk... never know what you will find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Leslie, sometimes it is fun but other times it would just be nice to get rid of it all...plus you never know if a mouse is going to run across your feet! LOL

      Delete
  3. I love that! So creative! I am going to do something with roosters in my kitchen. I might do some embroidery and put them up on my soffits! That's for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I like your idea, would love to see a picture when you are finished!

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from Sew Many Ways. This is so darn cute, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty! Welcome and I hope you stop by again.

      Delete
  5. Love it! We also have some old window frames that were left in our shed when we moved in and I've been looking for some creative ways to use them. This is making my creative wheels turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could help Rose. I agree the possiblities are endless!

      Delete
  6. Love it! I have a chicken kitchen and this would fit right in. Now my wheels are turning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice you stopped by MamaHen...it certainly sounds like it would fit into your kitchen theme as well!

      Delete
  7. I love your window creation! It's the best when crafts just come together as you go along. I would adore to have property with all those old treasures just to be discovered!! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! I have seen a lot of re-purposed windows but this is a new one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! I am glad you stopped by and hope to see you again.

      Delete
  9. That is so clever and really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did three things, Debbie: You saved money, you beautified your kitchen, and most of all, you lightened Mother Nature's problem - that is definitely an eco-friendly project. I'd like to have that in my kitchen, but not a chicken. I'd try something else - piglets, I guess. hihi :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks a lot for sharing this informative site, i find it very interesting and this is such a big helped for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...