Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday's Tip

Pin It
Picture this .... you decide to do something special for your family one afternoon and make a dessert they all love.  Halfway through the recipe, you realize you do not have any chocolate baking squares!


Here is a identical and cheaper substitute ..... it also eliminates extra ingredients in your pantry.




For each square, mix together 3 tablespoons of cocoa with 2 teaspoons of shortening.  


First take a small saucepan and using low heat melt the shortening.  After the shortening is melted whisk in the cocoa until smooth.  Cool slightly and use as directed in the recipe.  If you need two or three squares, simply double or triple the recipe.  Quick and easy!


Viola, the dessert will be baked and your family will be happy!


Remember to give your loved ones a hug too!

13 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog. I am hosting my 2nd blog hop and would love it if you would share this with my followers @ MamalDiane.com Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I will pop on over. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great idea Deb.
    Thank you for your latest comment on my blog. Knowing others really understand how I am feeling is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Kimmie. I am away visiting my son right now and when I see him, I realize how much I miss him in my day to day life but he is happy and isn't that what we want for our children? Big hugs!

      Delete
  3. Neato! I really need to remember this trick! Happy tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this tip! I have done this in the past but with oil, not solid shortening. Put up a link back to the Frugal Tuesday Tip when you get a chance. Will link back to you if I use this and write about it. http://juliecache.com/2012/04/30/get-ready-for-mothers-day-with-the-frugal-tuesday-tip/.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, sorry for the oversight. I was in such a rush this morning to leave on a road trip. I have added the linky button but it doesn't seem to be working....as you can see under Tammy at the Dehydrate Store button on my sidebar. Please advise if I am doing something wrong. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the quick follow up. When I click the button, I am not having any problems, I think you're good.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for helping me have to carry one less thing in my stockpile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Frugal Tuesday Tip, this is a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer and I am glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up to "The Gathering Spot" this week, and for the great idea. Fantastic tip! Hope to see you next week. Diane @ MamalDiane.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...