Monday, August 27, 2012

Busy Weekend

Pin It
This past weekend has been busy with company, housework, yard work and dehydrating. 

Potatoes was first on the agenda for the dehydrator as we were given soooo many and we really don't eat that many of them in the summer.  Our diet consists mostly of salads and fresh vegetables during the warmer months with a few bbq's tossed in but in the winter our diet changes quite drastically.  The body needs substance during the long, cold Minnesota winters.  Stews, soups, casseroles and meat and potato meals are the norm.   With dehydrated potatoes, it is easy to toss them into the stews and soups that are usually bubbling away in the crock-pot each day. 



So yesterday was spent peeling, cutting and popping them in the Excalibur......all 50 pounds worth!  The potato chips I mentioned here, did not turn out as planned but I have a few other ideas I will try and will definitely let you know if they turn out....they won't go to waste though as I will use them in the same way as the other dried potatoes.


I find this type of work is very satisfying...I'm not sure if it is the rhythmic peeling and slicing of the potatoes, the friends who kept me company and enjoyed a cup of coffee while I was busy or the comforting idea that slowly, the pantry will be re-stocked.  Whatever the reason, tasks such as these make me happy.


Today is errand day....groceries, banking and of course I have to check out the thrift stores so I better get at it.  The sun is beginning to rise and I still have to go for my morning hike.  Have a great day everyone and remember to give your loved ones a hug!

8 comments:

  1. What a productive day you had! Nothing more satisfying when you lay your head down on the pillow at night knowing you've accomplished so much during the daylight hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Sharon. Manual labor in one's own home is extremely rewarding. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a busy weekend.
    Take time to rest though.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my goodness Debbie....very productive and a wonderful way to make sure nothing goes to waste. Have a wonderful week.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, nothing goes to waste Cath and later this week and I will show you a trick on how to waste nothing! :0)

      Delete
  4. Those will store well Debbie, what a gift of great neighbors and friends! The daters, so you blanch yours first or justlayer them on the dehydrator trays? I've an Excalibur also and just love mine. I rananother load of onion and peppers yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh aren't the Excaliburs great? To answer your question, no I do not blanch them. I just peel and slice. I only use them in the crockpot so they simmer for hours which seems to cook them just fine. :0)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...