Friday, October 5, 2012

Adding to the Fruit Trees

Pin It
Friends of ours, Barb and Dave, own the local greenhouse here in town.  In the spring and summer they sell everything from flowers to trees to bushes to shrubs to vegetable seedlings to soil.  They then close up for the months of July and August.  



They re-open again in September and sell fall flowers such as Mums and pumpkins, ornamental squash, straw, cornstalks and anything that one would use to decorate their home for the season.



Locals love their greenhouse and products as Barb and Dave take great care in providing only the best for their friends and customers.  The other day, the hubster and I stopped in to check out their new stock and say hi as we don't see much of them when the shop is open.



Around the corner I noticed an adorable and very healthy looking tree.. a Redwing American Cranberry Bush.  The leaves were already a glorious red and they looked almost like a maple leaf.  Well I just had to have it and the price was perfect!  Only $14.95!!!  This bush was already five feet tall!


We have been slowly adding fruit trees to the property and this will be a wonderful addition.  The berries are edible .... just imagine .... my own homegrown cranberries for Thanksgiving dinner!  That will, however, have to be next year as the berries have already gone through their cycle.



Loading it into the trunk, we drove our new little baby home but a heavy frost was threatening that evening and since I didn't want the leaves to fall off just yet, we brought the bush indoors for the next couple of nights.



Yesterday the threat of deep frosty nights had passed and it was time to put the bush in the ground.



After digging a hole big enough, I added a bag of Miracle Grow soil to the bottom to give the bush some extra nutrients for a good head start.




I then added a bucket of fresh water and dropped the bush into the hole.  Finishing up, I gave it another good bucket of water.



Hopefully the deer will leave the bush alone and let it grow into a large, fruit producing tree that we can enjoy for many years to come!



Do you add fruit trees to your property?  If you do, which ones have been successful?

Remember to give your loved ones a hug!

8 comments:

  1. You are a woman after my own heart! About the first thing I do when I move into a new place is start planting fruit trees. We've only been here three years, so the trees are still getting established. Of the trees I've planted, the pomegranate and the almond are doing the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh pomegranate and almond?! I wish our climate would support trees like that. I am glad that they are doing so well. Just imagine the fruit when they are established! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'd love fruit trees, we just haven't done it yet. There is always something else calling for the cash LOL! You have a lot of open land you can plant on don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Katie we have 20 acres and about 10 of it is open land so quite a bit of room for fruit trees!

      Delete
  4. I just have a small backyard with a small garden so no fruit trees. Nothing tastes better than fresh cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uilding this swtor credits Aion forex is known as a trouble itself. It truly is in some cases annoying GW2 gold or discouraging. One may well feel that the best strategy to make a pile of kinah is reselling the items around the video games. You could aion powerleveling possibly get tired diablo 3 paragon leveling of it incredibly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment.



    Dwarf fruit trees & Quince tree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planting trees is not only time-consuming, it is also hard work, especially when you do it right like you said.


    Garden Designer Norfolk & Timber Decking Suffolk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...