Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Raisin Bread

Pin It
The dilemma of the bread machine and the controversy surrounding the question .... is the bread homemade if made with a machine?  I have made homemade bread both by hand and by using a bread machine.  Personally I don't believe it is cheating if you would prefer using a bread machine .... it is, in my eyes, still homemade ...... you are adding and/or omitting ingredients that you might not wish for your family to eat.  It is the healthy loaf you want for your family.  THAT is homemade and homemade with love ..... even if it was made with a bread machine.

I love my bread machine.  I bought it second hand from a thrift store almost two years ago and use it every couple of days.  It works perfectly, came with the original recipe book and was only $10.00!!  One of the best deals I have ever found.  I enjoy kneading my bread by hand as well but I find that after a while it really bothers the muscles in my back.  Kneading for a full 10 minutes can really do a number on it!  Hence the reason I use my bread machine.  Others have told me they like their bread machines for the sole reason that their lives are just too busy!!  I certainly can understand this and it is a valid reason.  Running with younger children from school to sporting events and then home to put dinner on the table does take time away from such tasks.  

Besides making the  basic white and wheat loaves, we all love, love, love the raisin bread recipe that came with the machine.  It is just delicious and I thought I would share it with you in case you are like us ..... use a bread machine, and love raisin bread!



My book provides instructions for a one pound loaf and and a one and a half pound loaf ( I always make the 1 1/2 pound loaf as our household can finish it off in two days).  Although the amount of ingredients needed will be different, the process will be the same for both size loaves.

One Pound Loaf                            INGREDIENTS                          One and Half Pound Loaf           
7 ounces (3//4 cup + 2 Tbsp)           Water, 90 - 100 F                          8 1/2 ounces (1 cup + 1 Tbsp)
2 cups                                              Bread Flour                                    2 2/3 cups
1 tablespoon                                     Dry Milk                                        2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon                                     Sugar                                             1 1/2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon                                        Salt                                                1 1/2 teaspoons
1/2 teaspoon                                     Cinnamon                                       1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon                                     Butter or Margarine                        2 tablespoons
1 1/2 teaspoons                                Active Dry Yeast                            2 teaspoons
--or--                                               --or--                                             --or--
1 teaspoon                                       Bread Machine/                              1 1/2 teaspoons
                                                        Fast Rise Yeast 
1/2 cup                                            Raisins                                            3/4 cup
1/4 cup                                            Chopped Nuts (optional)                 1/2 cup

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOTH RECIPES

BREAD SELECT SETTING TO USE: Basic/Specialty

  1. Add liquid ingredients to pan
  2. Add dry ingredients except yeast, to pan.  Tap pan to settle dry ingredients, then level ingredients,         pushing some of the mixture into the corners.  Place butter into corners of pan.
  3. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add yeast.  Lock pan into bread maker.
  4. Program for BASIC/SPECIALTY and desired Bread Color.  Program TIMER if being used.  Close cover.  Start bread maker.  When done, turn off and remove bread from pan.  Cool on rack before slicing.
** If making a one pound loaf; use Light Bread Color setting to prevent over-browning of the smaller loaf.

*** SPECIAL TIP:  To make raisin bread overnight, follow Steps 1-3 above.  Then place raisins and nuts around the outside edge of pan, away from the yeast.  Do not add raisins to the water in pan as the raisins will absorb too much liquid and a poor loaf of bread will be obtained.  Continue with Step 4.



If you happen to make a double batch, remember to cool the bread completely before packing it in a freezer bag.  Remove all air from the bag before sealing .... I use the old straw in the corner trick.  When I need another loaf, I remove it from the freezer, let it thaw slowly and if the oven happens to be turned on to cook our dinner, I will toss it in to warm up the loaf and have warm slices with our meal.  

Whether you chose to use a bread machine or knead the loaf by hand, baking with wholesome ingredients for your family is something to be very proud of.  Your bread will be better than any from a supermarket ..... guaranteed.  I am sure your family would agree with me.  So use that bread machine and use it with your head held high.  You have just baked a loaf of fresh, homemade bread!  Doesn't it smell wonderful?!


Remember to give your loved ones a hug!
                                                           

8 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Debbie. My friend gave me a tip for using the bread machine ... set it on the "dough" cycle, take the dough out of the machine, let rest for some time, shape into a loaf and use your own pans to bake it your oven. I like the shape of the loaf so much better than the shape it comes out if baked in the bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I knew I could do that but wasn't sure exactly how. I am going to have to give it a try. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Oy yum! The bread looks so good! Now I want some for my breakfast :) I, too, love the bread machine...I don't know what I would do without it. Have a lovely day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just wonderful Stephanie? I love my bread machine. Have a great day, I am so glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  3. I think bread from the bread machine "counts" just as much as an article sewn with the help of a sewing machine. If the goal is to know the ingredients and enjoy a warm loaf of bread, why eschew technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristi, so true! I never thought of that comparison. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. What a deal you found and this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With food(in the south anyway) if it's made from "scratch" then its homemade irreguardless.That's my story and I'm sticking with it.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...