Friday, January 18, 2013

Kale, Banana and Orange Smoothie

Pin It




I have been wanting to work more greens into my daily diet and wishing to learn how to make some smoothies so what better way than to combine both?!

I hunted and read reviews on so many different smoothies that finally I just gave up and tried my own concoction and I have to say ..... I LOVE smoothies!!


Many recipes I had found included soy milk which I never have on hand and I really didn't want to add milk .... I wanted to include yogurt instead.  The probiotics in yogurt work well for my system.

So here is my version of a green/yellow/orange breakfast or anytime smoothie .....



Ingredients - 

1 orange (juice and pulp)
1 cup chopped kale
1 5oz container of yogurt ( I used low fat banana cream pie flavor )
1 medium sized banana
1 tbsp flax seed



Method - 

I sliced the orange in half and squeezed all the juice into my blender and added the pulp.  Then I added one sliced banana, 1 cup of chopped kale, the container of yogurt and 1 tbsp flax seed.



Mix well on high for approximately 2 minutes.Pour into glass/cup and enjoy.  


The consistency is similar to a thin pudding so not possible to drink through a straw.  If milk was added that would most likely help it to become thinner but as mentioned, I really didn't want to add any milk.  


This turned out just right for me and I loved the taste!  The bitterness that can sometimes be found in kale was non-existent.  I am sure the banana and the orange helped with that.  It is a pretty color too!  


Do you have any smoothie recipes to share?  I would love to try them!  Always remember to give your loved ones a hug.



11 comments:

  1. I'll have to make this; I have all of the ingredients on hand. (Well, a different flavor of yogurt, but still . . .)

    I do like smoothies, but haven't made one in a while. I tend to use whatever I have in my fridge. I love parsley, so have used that before. Avocados lend a smooth texture. Raspberries are my absolute favorite. Dates and bananas sweeten the smoothie naturally. Frozen fruit thickens. Spinach or Romaine lends a mild flavor, but gets the greens in.

    I know that isn't a recipe, but maybe it sparks ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sparks ideas Kristi, quite a few actually...thanks!

      Delete
  2. Difficult to think of anything green drinkable, but you make it sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Sharon. It is really yummy...more than I thought it would be!

      Delete
  3. Oh,yummy! That's a really good one to try and add to my list. Have you visited my blog to see what hubby and I have been up to? All about the green these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried a smoothie. I guess I'm afraid I'll make a concoction that I would be able to enjoy drinking. However, this one looks real good, though I'd have to omit the oranges though. Anything citrus makes my stomach "flip out." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea, so healthy. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know kale is wonderful for you and is a key ingredient in a number of smootie recipes - This sounds really good for you - especially this time of the year. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for submitting this tasty recipe to the Crafty Showcase! xoxo susie @bowdabra

    Ps- here is the newest linky! We have a new Button! http://bowdabrablog.com/2013/02/16/crafty-showcase-link-up-anything-fun-in-the-craft-project-linky/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. Actually, I started a few weeks ago drinking green smoothies. Strawberries and cantalope added are good and a little honey.

    We may have met by chance,,,but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-caramelized-apple-cheddar-grilled-cheese-sandwich

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading all of them. Have a wonderful day.

Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...